Saturday, June 21, 2014

Typing Classes- An Anachronism or a Valuable Tool for Children and Teens???


I know that when I was in high school my dad told me the most valuable class that I would take was typing. I will forever be thankful to him for encouraging me to take the class as it’s a life skill that continues to save me a tremendous amount of time in my daily life as a teacher, business owner and writer.  Unfortunately, typing classes are no longer offered in most elementary, middle nor high schools so students are forced to use the “hunt and peck” method.

With the advent of the Common Core Standards and most school districts switching to ipads and chromebooks, typing will become an even more valuable skill. It is also something great for students of all ages to learn during the summer.

I would highly recommend Google Chrome’s free typing app that makes learning to type fun by using a game like format. It will teach students the proper technique and specific fingers to use so they can learn to type very quickly. Many students that use the app can increase their speed to between 30-90 words per minute.  Although typing is a simple skill, it’s value should not be underestimated and can save your child tons of time in school, college and life.

Happy Typing. Please check out the free app link below to get started!


https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/typingclub/obdbgibnhfcjmmpfijkpcihjieedpfah?hl=en

For more informational blogs on educational topics, please visit our website at http://www.beachcitiestutoring.com, your premier source for private in-home tutoring, run and operated by teachers!



No comments:

Post a Comment